Do everything in love. 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 a penny

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Yippie!

Yippie Number one: I was accepted to Tyndale seminary!
Yippie Number two: I'm coming home for Ben Bokma's wedding (June 6th-June 11th)!
Yippie Number three: I'm a groomswoman (pssshhhaw...stoked)!
Yippie Number Four: The dress for the wedding is the same as the one I wore to Nicole's Wedding....REWEAR!!!
Yippie Number Five: I heart Canada

So today I taught a culture lesson to my grade fives on "personal space." The joys of being a teacher. Everyday my students come roaring into my class in a storm of ninja kicks, laughter, screams (do they ever love to scream)all singing a chorus of HEEELOWW TEEACHHAAAA SSSAAALAAAAA!!!

And everyday, I sit quietly awaiting their booming introduction, and brace myself for the attack. Not one, not three, but daily, 40 students encircle my desk and giggle shyly at their inability to say anything to me. They are fascinated by my "Clean neck" (Perhaps white is what they mean?) and my blue eyes, asking questions (as they stare at me curiously) Teachaaa your eyes blue?.
Now this invasion of my space would be completely welcomed if there were any space to welcome them into. I am encircled, completely covered, climbing, crawling, poking, pushing laughing, touching, covered with students. Reading my emails, taking my coffee(brave souls), picking up random objects and naming them in English for me. Pen? Book? Stapler? Paper?

I smile (on the outside, and probably somewhere deep inside as well.) However, my North American, Canadian, wide open spaces, room to think and breath - personal space has been stolen and I am slipping into a state of shock. I hold on for as long as I can, with out discouraging these little English learning cherubs, and then with one swoop of my arms- I leap from my desk and run to seek cover with my co-teacher. Standing behind her, I am safe- they will not explore my ears, eyes, neck, papers, pens or books any longer.

So after my space had been stolen for the 5th time that day, in the second week of my seventh month here, I decided it was time for a lesson on cultural differences!

I drew a map. I drew small small small Korea, and large large large Canada. They agreed on my scaled drawings...however as a class we decided both countries were great. I showed them that there are many people in Canada, and that there are many people in Korea. I then showed them, that in Canada (b/c it's bigger), we are used to having more space. In Korea, it's smaller (one city holding 11 million people) they are used to sharing space differently.

When it was all said and done they were pretending to be in boxes as mimes. They understood the concept of my invisible barriers of personal space..and were having a good time making fun of them:) It was so cute.

They thought it was strange. They just couldn't understand, if the space was there, why it couldn’t be used. This is coming from a people who use every nook and cranny to it's best ability. They have basketball courts on roof tops, and gardens (full gardens) in city ditches. A corner that would be used for storing cardboard in a grocery store in Canada, is where they sell the flowers (under the escalator, enough space to walk in, buy the flower and walk out backwards(no space to turn)).

My invisible barriers fascinated them. And with thought, now fascinate me.

I went to a movie with a couple of the youth I am working with at Saejewang church. While traveling on the subway they asked me what I found most difficult to adjust to, upon arriving in Korea. I answered their question with "personal space." Simultaneously, they all took one step away from me :) I had no choice but to laugh.

Oh the blessings of space. The ingenious of using what you have. The joy that can be gained when one takes the time to understand and be understood. There is nothing that will bless your heart like 40 grade five students mocking you as small mimes stuck in boxes.

1 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have loved to have been there and seen your lesson on personal space! Your students must love you so much, wanting to show you their English and trying to connect with you. You are one heck of a teacher, my dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home